As we finally emerge from the fog that was the mad-rush and exhaustion of end-of-term-itis, we come to the realisation that it is the horrid of most horrid holidays – winter. And what on earth are we going to do to keep our little people occupied for two weeks that involves not freezing our butts off nor lining up in queues for hours on end? Good question.
Thankfully, we live in a beautiful region, which despite being ‘naturally cool’, also has a variety of fun and FREE activities on offer. Here are ten ideas gathered from our local community websites:
- Snowflake Science at Gisborne Library on Wednesday 5 July from 11 am until 12 noon Seven to ten year-olds are invited to come and investigate why every snowflake is unique and to make their own kaleidoscope. Please book to secure a place for your child. (This activity is also held at Kyneton Library on Thursday 6 July at 2 pm).
- Meet Duggee at Gisborne Village Shopping Centre on Thursday 6 July (10 am, 10.40, 11.20, 12 noon, 12.40) Bring your children to meet Duggee from the ABC show Hey Duggee.
- Free Face Painting at Gisborne Village Shopping Centre on Friday 7 and 14 July from 10 am until 1 pm Grab yourself a coffee while your children have their faces painted for free!
- Up in Space at Woodend Library on Friday 7 July from 11 am until 12 noon Seven to ten year olds learn about space as they participate in a number of activities, including building their own solar system. Please book to secure a place for your child. (This activity is also available at Romsey Library on Friday 7 July at 2 pm).
- Maldon Market in Maldon on Sunday 9 July from 9 am to 2 pm Have a family day out in Maldon to peruse the market and experience this historic gold rush town during the Winter Festival.
- Draw it! at Kyneton Library on Wednesday 12 July from 2 pm until 3 pm If your children are fans of the Captain Underpants books, they may enjoy this activity where they learn to draw characters from the series. It is aimed at children from eight to twelve years old. (This activity is also available at Woodend Library on Wednesday 12 July at 10 am).
- Wind in the Willows at Kyneton Town Hall on Thursday 13 July at 10.30 am and 1.30 pm This classic tale is presented as a stage show and is suitable for the whole family.
- Meet Paddington Bear at Gisborne Village Shopping Centre on Thursday 13 July (10 am, 10.40, 11.20, 12 noon, 12.40) Bring your child to meet and greet with the lovable Paddington Bear from the recent movie of the same name.
- Pete the Plumber at Romsey Library on Friday 14 July from 10 am until 11 am Come and meet Pete the Plumber who enjoys sharing stories about water cycle with silly songs and instruments. Please book to secure a place for your child.
- Farm Visit at Cleveland Winery in Lancefield from July 1 until July 16 Visit, pat and feed the farm animals at Cleveland Winery. Enjoy the beautiful scenery and maybe grab some lunch from the restaurant.
If you’re after more fun activities for the school holidays and the rain is holding off, why not check out some of natural wonders of Macedon Ranges and surrounds, here.
And for more information about the markets in the Macedon Ranges, click here.