My dad always says ‘waste not want not’ and to this day I cringe if food is thrown into the bin. Before you throw it out to the birds or into the compost, here are some ways to use up the leftover food in the fridge for that reason you actually bought it for – to eat it!
- Muffins (banana, apple, rhubarb, pear, pumpkin, carrot)
- Pikelets (sweet potato, banana, berries)
- Lasagna (capsicum, zucchini, carrot, tomato, celery, spinach, eggplant, silverbeet)
- Soup or stew (pumpkin, potato, zucchini, cauliflower, tomato – literally any vegetable and meat about to expire)
- Frittatta (zucchini, potato, pumpkin, spinach, capsicum, tomato, silverbeet)
- Omlette (as for fritatta)
- Stir fry, fried rice, risotto (cabbage, kale, silverbeet, carrot, pineapple, zucchini)
- Smoothies (berries, kale, cucumber, carrot, orange, lemon, ginger, apple, pear)
- Icecream (peeled and chopped banana, berries – freeze and then whip together in food processor to make instant dairy free icecream)
- Icypoles (orange, apple, pear, berries, carrot, watermelon, cantelope, pineapple – juice or puree and freeze in icypole moulds or chop and place in icypole moulds then fill with water and freeze for ‘floating fruit’ icypoles)
- Chocolate dipped fruit (orange, apple, pear, pinapple but best on old strawberries and banana – dip in chocolate then refrigerate till set)
- Freeze for porridge/muesli topping (puree or chop any leftover fruit and store in your fridge or freeze for later use)
- Cakes (apple, pear, banana, orange, beetroot, carrot, rhubarb, pineapple, lemon)
- Brownies (beetroot, zucchini, pumpkin, kumara)
- Jam, marmalade, chutney, relish (berries, rhubarb, apple, orange, kiwifruit, tomato)
- Juice (orange, apple, pear, carrot, kale, lemon, ginger, pineapple, watermelon)
- Stock paste (literally any leftover vegetables)
- Freeze for later use in cooking (lemons and limes – chop in half and freeze then defrost as needed in stir fries and as garnish for fish. Literally any other vegetables or fruit)
- Crumbles/pies (apples, pears, berries)
- Sauces for pasta and on meat (mushrooms to go with gravy, tomato, spinach, olives, zucchini, silverbeet, pumpkin)
- Pizza dough (great for getting rid of Greek yoghurt – one cup with two cups self raising flour to make dough)
- Pizza topping (tomato, olives, spinach, mushrooms, pumpkin, potato, cheese about to expire, leftover ham/chicken/lamb/beef/bacon, pineapple, capsicum, zucchini, eggplant)
- Cheese sauce (great for using up milk about to expire – serve on broccoli and cauliflower for dinner or use in lasagna)
- Pasties (leftover bacon/ham/lamc/chicken, leftover cooked vegetables, cheese about to expire, mushrooms, zucchini, peas, corn, silverbeet, spinach, pumpkin, potato)
- Dips (great for using up leftover Greek yoghurt and cucumber for tzatziki dip, avocado, feta and cream cheese about to expire, pumpkin, kumara, leftover smoked salmon, tomato, capsicum)
If you would like to learn how to meal plan and stop yourself from buying too much food in the first place, please click here, for my article on Meal Planning 101.
For my Top Ten Freezer Fillers, click here.
For 70 Meal Ideas to peruse for dinner this week, click here.